Thursday, April 12, 2012

Conference, Baptism, and Islas Malvinas - April 2, 2012

THIS WEEKEND WAS LIKE A MISSIONARY¨S BeST wEEkEnD EVER! Let me explain:
 
1) Conference. Wasn´t it amazing like always? I felt it was so fast. When you go into conference with questions, it feels like they are talking directly to you. Plus we had investigators that came so it was even more important.
 
My favorite talks:
  • Elder Hallstrom about being active in the gospel, not just the church.
  • Elder Oaks about sacrifice. I too feel privileged to sacrifice to serve my Savior.
  • Elder Henry B Eyring about trials. God needs to polish us, so let us ask for more mountains to climb to become better disciples.
  • Elder Utchdorf about forgiveness. Who of us didn't need this talk? We all did
  • Elder Ballard about families. I felt that I could read this to about 90% of my investigators. So i will be prayerfully meditating on how to use it. It was a direct answer to a question I had before conference.
  • President Monson must be the most happy lovable disciple of Christ I have ever seen. Let us all try to be happy and cheerful like him. What an amazing example
 
2) Ruben´s baptism!!! So on Saturday in between the last afternoon session and the priesthood, Ruben after 10 years of investigating the church entered the waters of baptism!! His wife is a return missionary and the two girls Zoe (11yrs) and Mia (6yrs) were just SOOOO happy. March 31, 2013 they can be sealed as a family!!  We got tons of support from the ward and it all went perfect. The member doing the baptism showed up late which gave us a little scare but besides that, it was amazing!! SUCH a spiritual day.
 
 



 
So we had a sweet hiking trip planned today but it didn't go down because it rained all day. Just a small let down off the spiritual high. But today is a very important day in Argentine history anyways. A day that as much as I am so very proud of wearing the last name ¨THATCHER¨, today is a day that is it not as safe to wear. Today is the 30 year anniversary of the war with England in the Islas Malvinas. Margaret Thatcher is not a very loved name here. Look it up in the history books. Kind of like wearing the missionary plaque of ¨Elder Bin Laden¨ on September 11th in the states. But hey, as of now no problems, but I might use Hna John´s plaque this week I haven´t decided. ¨Depends if they have protests or what not (since the people here are very politically active) But Mom, don´t worry about this, I will be just fine :)
 
Next week is ZONE CONFERENCE!! (On Monday so I will have pday again on Tues). I am ready to be spiritually rocked my Pte Avila and the crew again!! Until then, I will leave you with the quote that was used in conference that I love! Take care!

The Standard of Truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame. But the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and dependent till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, until the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehovah will say, ‘The work is done.'- Joseph Smith
Hermana Emily ThatcherMisión Argentina Mendoza

No comments:

Post a Comment