Saturday, March 5, 2011

Feb.15, 2011


Hi All!
 
Wow, lemme begin with where I am right now...laundry room at the MTC. Imagine 200 elders and sisters fighting for washers and dryers while everyone is on the floor writing letters. So let me see how focused I can be to write this letter. Such a crazy place on p-day (preparation day).
 
This place is amazing! Karlee and her family took me out to dinner after we dropped off Mom and Erin and then dropped me off. They give you about 1 minute to be in the drop off lane and then they drive away. Elders and Sisters grab your luggage and then you drop it off in your room get your ID card and then go straight to class. For all those who I haven't told, somehow is tested into advanced and intermediate Spanish so class was only taught in Spanish even on the first day! I looked my my companion and whispered to her:
 
"Umm, are you a native Spanish speaker?"
"No. This is crazy. You are my companion?"
"I guess so, we are the only Sisters here. Nice to meet you. I'm guessing we will be best friends soon."
 
And we have been every since. Hermana Elias is a 5'0 Hispanic sweetheart from central Washington. She is quiet and shy so we are polar opposites but we are great companions (She is going to San Antonio). We look pretty funny walking around the MTC. There are six Hermanas in my room right now. Two of them are leaving for Chile next week and the other two are going to Tucson and San Diego. We try to speak Spanish as much as we can but sometimes get frustrated and tell stories in English. They are such fun and super spiritual girls and great to be around!
 
The MTC, how do I begin. It is kind of like a huge United Nations with the feeling of a temple. Such a powerful feeling here, it is like we are training for a battle. Everyone is so diligent and happy. Everywhere you go you hear a hello in a different language which is awesome! All the Hermanas in the four rooms surrounding mine are Spanish speaking and they even have all the cafeteria time scheduled with those going to spanish speaking missions so you are completely immersed in it. It is fun to speak to everyone and hear their stories on why they went on their missions.
 
There are 11 people in my class (District). Most are going to Argentina actually but different missions. They definitely remind me everyday that they are 19 year olds but are very fun and respectful to use two Hermanas in the class. The Lord definitely has a hand in keeping us all focused to sit through 10 hours of class each day. The teachers here are the best I have ever had. They are so energetic and inspirational and really care about us. We play games, listen to mission stories and other things to keep up awake and motivated. We have 2 male and 1 female teachers, all which are recent return missionaries. The cool thing is we don't have separate Spanish and Gospel classes. We integrate both and ask grammar questions as we go. I have learned more Spanish in the last 6 days then 3 semesters of Spanish combined. Definitely my prayers are being answered to help me learn the language yet I have a far way to go. Thank you for your prayers because I feel I am being helped a lot beyond my own strength. Hermana Elias and I have mastered prayer and bearing simple testimonies and are practicing the first lesson of the church this week. You think memorizing scriptures in English is hard- try Spanish! We are memorizing Doctrine and Covenants 4 and the first vision. Our teachers love Hermana Elias and I because we make sure the Elders are doing their homework and we set the bar.
 
We have been having lots of meetings and inspirational devotionals to get us pumped up about missionary work. I have felt the spirit here more than ever in my life I think. I know it has been the best decision I have made so far. It is very hard, but I pray probably 10 or more times a day to help me get through it. Please continue to pray for me, I have lots to learn and master and it is hard, but extremely rewarding. Love you all til next Tuesday!
 
Hermana Thatcher

No comments:

Post a Comment