Saturday, March 5, 2011

March 1, 2011


Hello Family and Friends!
 
Sorry these are getting to be generic letters but it is hard with the time they give us to type to every single person. But all is well here, just keep trucking along and learning everyday. Here are the highlights of the week:
 
 
1) In Relief Society, since there aren't many Sisters here, we have the meeting with all the Sisters in the MTC (or C.C.M. in espanol). It is pretty cool to talk to everyone and see where they are going. There are so many beautiful sisters here, not at all what I expected really. This last Sunday we got to hear from Sister Ann Dibb, who is the second counselor of the Young Women's General Presidency. Well I didn't know this but she is also the daughter of President Monson! She looked very similar to him and had many of his same mannerisms. She talked to use about teaching wives, women, and young girls and what we should share with them. It was really interesting! She said that we will have so much effect and power to convert all the women of the world more than the men will ever. She told us about the every increasing threat of chastity and virtue and how to talk to the Young Women in our missions especially. We also received the Primary Program Manual for this year and she told us to prepare to possibly have to run it in some circumstances when leadership is few. Mom you were right! But my favorite part of the talk was the end when she opened up to any and all questions about her father the Prophet! She said he was in the Stake Presidency when she was born, was a mission president when she was 4, and was an apostle when she turned 9. She said that sometimes she was sad but her dad was always there and supportive when she needed him and was the most caring person she knows. She talked about Sister Hinckley and how she was the woman to thank, because she in never in the spotlight but it just as much a stronghold. How cool is that? Those are just some of the answers. The last question we asked was what did he talk about last week (since he gave a talk in his home ward). Sister Dibb said that he said "I have walked where Jesus walked: Jerusalem, Bethlamen, and Jordan. But what is more important to me is that I walk where Jesus would walk today- helping people and walking in his footsteps where he would walk here."- or something like that. I loved that! I went up afterwards and met her in the lobby. She gave me a huge hug and it felt like if President Monson would have been doing the same thing if he was here.
 
2) The Hermanas! Wow these girls here are amazing! Seriously Army of God! Hermana Lewis (since she is a solo sister) has basically become companions with Hermana Elias and I even though she is in a different district. We do the funnest things together! We love to meet new people going all over the world and bear testimonies and hear them in different languages. We got four new Hermanas in our branch which is really refreshing. Since there are only 6 of us and probably 80+ elders, we all are really close. It feels like I have know them for years, but really only 3 weeks! Sometimes I get scared thinking about leaving here. It is like the most spiritual boot camp in the world! All we do all day is study doctrine, study Spanish, play games in Spanish, eat and go to gym. What could be better?! Oh well seeing my family and friends would be AMAZING and maybe a little gory medicine would be the complete package. Still, this is an experience everyone should go through. It truly is life changing.
 
3) We are learning the second lesson in Spanish this week. We successfully taught the first lesson in Spanish again to A REAL INVESTIGATOR!! He said our Spanish was beautiful and we did great which made me feel a little better because he was from Honduras and spoke SO fast. Sometimes Hermana Elias and I would just look at each other and smile and say "yes, that is great". I guess he was referred to the MTC from a friend because he wanted to learn more and be able to be taught many times. Very nice about 60 year old gentleman, Napoleon. We taught the second lesson just to practice to a sister down the hall and it was amazing. By the end she was in tears- I guess thats a good sign. Hermana Elias has been very shy to teach so I am trying to talk less to help her, but it is a proccess. We are working hard to make sure she is comfortbale with the doctrine. Don't worry though, we are still great companions. I've lasted way longer withought getting frustrated or annoyed that I thought! Definitely prayers are being answered in that way.
 
 
Not too eventful of a week but very spiritual. I'm still pleading for help with Spanish and better understanding of the Gospel. I feel my prayers are answered all day everyday, as long as I am worthy of them. Thank you again for your prayers, I need them and love them. 5 Weeks left!
 
 
Til Next time,
 
Hermana Thatcher

No comments:

Post a Comment