Monday, July 23, 2012

Dreams come true. Especially in the service of the Lord - July 16, 2012

Well, this week has been one of the most reflective weeks I have had on the mission. Let me explain....

1) Zone Conference. It was the best one I have every been to. Pte Avila spoke a lot about obedience and faith, Hna Avila spoke, his daughters sang, Santiago his son (11yrs) did practices with us. From 9:30am to 7:30 pm, what a spiritual fire hose! What an amazing family the Avilas are. I feel like they are my family too. The nurse of the mission, Elder Ence, and his wife who got here in January gave their testimonies in broken Spanish and made me cry. We all had a testimony meeting to finish with. I didn't realize it was my last zone conference, so as tradition is, they ask the missionaries who just got here and who are going home to give their testimonies. It hit me. I hadn't really been thinking about home but I realized my time is running out. I realized the best thing that has happened in my life was about to run out....I gave my testimony struggling to not cry. 

2) President Avila came up to me while I was sitting down in a break between zone conference. He asked me if I wanted to pack my bags. I first was a little sad thinking ¨Well, finish the mission in a new area, oh well¨. But then he said I would be packing to travel around the mission! Hermana Bedke and I will we working in Maipu Mendoza and traveling to train the other hermanas and help them with their baptisms. What a dream!! My whole mission I have wanted to be able to do this (hermana Anderson and I planned it all out but never happened...) but now President Avila for the first time will call Hermanas to travel. I feel super humbled for such a great opportunity and amazing way to finish the mission. ( Plus to be able to see my converts before I leave in every area). I still can´t believe it!! 

3) Marcos Vilela came up to us Sunday after church, and in his quiet shy voice said... ¨Hermanas, yo decidi a bautizarme. El 28 de Julio. Yo quiero que Ruben Flores lo haga¨. And to you that don´t speak Spanish..it means he decided and prayed to know if he should get baptized and got his answer. We have been visiting him with Ruben, who had a similar story (his wife and family were members of the church but he wasn't until recently) and he has stopped smoking and wants to be baptized. Hna Lino and I jumped and cried and ran to tell the Bishop. It is huge for the ward and for their family because it could mean a lot of future baptisms because he in a house behind his family who all are awesome people too who coulnd in the future accept the gospel. Plus, he will be a great future priesthood holder. So...what more can one ask for? The recent convert who recently got the Melchizedek priesthood to baptize your future family sealed in the temple! WOW blessings!!!

Sooo....... things are great. Sorry Mom and Dad, not ready to come home yet. I have 4 weeks left in the best mission in the word........

-- 
Hermana Emily Thatcher
MisiĆ³n Argentina Mendoza

Elder Yao's Birthday!

Carla and Leticia Avila


President & Hermana Avila and family


Grafitti Bridge
 
Hermana Avila

Lunch with the Bishop


Micaela


Welcome to Zone Conference

No comments:

Post a Comment