Friday, November 18, 2011

I'VE ARRIVED IN SAN JUAN!!! - November 14, 2011

Hola FAMILIA!!!!

Well, I LOOOOVVEEEE this new area!! It is hard to believe how big a difference there is between the province of Mendoza and San Juan. I feel like I am in another country! But the differences are great! The people are soooo much nicer in every way. I was used to knocking 100 doors in San Rafael and getting in 2 and here it is like every other one lets you in to talk! They are very chill humble people. They also look different- more like Bolivians or a native race. The only thing  that they love to sleep and party at night. Because it is so hot here, they wake up, cook lunch, sleep the siesta (from like 2pm-7pm) and then stay up all night until like 3 or 4am because it is cooler outside. So we have to be creative and smart with everything we do. But, I am PUMPED!!!!

The ward is great. It was very hard to go to a ward where I didn't personally know everyone but it will come. I made sure to say hi and introduce myself to everyone. Hna Wilde and I had to give talks which was cool took. I talked and 2 stories from the Book of Mormon. When God gave Moses a mouthpiece or aide to do his work (Aaron) and speak and how Amulek was a common citizen who was of high standing and left to help preach with Alma. I related these both to how important it is for the members to support and preach with the missionaries. It turned out really good and comical in places and I think the ward members really payed attention. The bishop looks like he is 19 but very nice haha! The pension (apartment) is pretty small but nice. We have one fan, no air conditioning. So it will be fun in the next 4 months of 100, 110 degree weather here! Love the mission experiences! I am expecting to loose all the weight I gained in San Rafael with sweating ALL day long. 

As for investigators, we started off with basically none when I got up here so we have lots of work to do. This area has tons of potential (and is HUGE) so I am excited to find some great people. I have tried to memorize all the part member families and members so they can be the key to helping us since Hna Wilde only has 6 weeks here, she doesn't know everything or the area very well yet. It is going to be like starting from scratch but I am pumped to do it. Every morning we listen to our soundtrack music ( I got from Hna Anderson from Avatar and DaVinci Code and others)  that pump us up and then we leave to work! 

Here are the pictures
1) The bishop's family. He gave me an amazing compliment. He said ¨I feel like calling your mission president and begging him to keep you here. But I guess you can go bless another ward, but as long as you can come back in a few months¨. They are young but awesome! Bishop Galdeano.
 

2) Lucia and Agustina. Our converts w Hna Zepeda. They go to church every Sunday and are becoming very good with the scriptures. They have THE HARDEST family situation but are very faithful.

3) Jessica, one member who is 23 and the primary president in the ward. We became great friends. She came in the morning to see me off.






4)- etc. My trip to San Juan. Pday today we made it official hat day with come hats we found in the pension. We were on the bus in this pic. We played bball with the zone and then ate almost 2ft long hot dogs for about 1.50 American dollars. Yummy!

Last pic- we live below members, our pension.

Love you all!! Hope you have a great fall week!! Pray for the people here please and that we can recognize the Lord´s chosen to bring them to the waters of baptism!

Hna Thatcher

No comments:

Post a Comment